Monday, September 9, 2013

Why Bible Belt Wearing Lesbian?

Some of you may be wondering why I chose to call this blog "Bible Belt Wearing Lesbian." First, the name is shocking, and enigmatic in hopes that more people will be inspired to read this blog. My sole purpose is to inform people what it is like being homosexual in the Bible Belt in order to give them perspective. I do not want to argue for or against any view, opinion, belief, or law. Second, I chose the name because it reflects what my beliefs were before I came out of the closet, and the name gives a very general idea of my location. Here is what the Bible Belt means to me: A geographical location in the United States specifically in the Southeast that is dominated by Christian Fundamentalism. When I think of Christian Fundamentalism I think of a literal translation of the Bible, focus on Biblical Rules, Church leaders reinforcing these rules, a focus on the importance of "getting saved," and the importance of saving others by the teaching of Biblical Rules and condemning those who choose not to live accordingly. Despite this, growing up I wanted to follow all of the rules because I wanted my Father in heaven to be proud of his little girl. I thought I did a pretty good job until I was 15 and realized I was attracted to the same sex. When this happened a shift occurred in my thinking and I was terrified that if I couldn't get rid of this attraction then I would be condemned to hell. Anytime I heard anything about homosexuality, in public or in Church, this belief was reinforced. I did not hear anything positive about being Homosexual and a Christian until I was 22. I will be providing snapshots of what my life was like growing up as a Bible Belt Wearing Lesbian, and I hope to include some other opinions, or mindsets to level out my bias and give this blog some variety. Thank you for joining me, and I hope you enjoy the show!

Preview:

"Evolution of the Bible"
 How the Bible changed for me from age 5 through adulthood.

Encouragement of the day:

John 10:14-16: I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep, and they know me, just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep. I have other sheep too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them too. They will listen to my voice, and there will be ONE flock with ONE shepherd.

Inspiration of the Day:

"Why a Bible Belt Conservative Spent a Year Pretending to Be Gay"
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/13/bible-belt-conservative-year-gay


  Check my Facebook page "Bible Belt Wearing Lesbian" for updates or sign up for updates via e-mail. biblebeltlesbian@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment